davidd's A Doll A Day 2019
Aww, kitty! How many Pinky St figures do you have?
Ahh, Asuka. So cool
(02-06-2019, 08:38 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: How many Pinky St figures do you have?

That's a question to which I do not have a ready answer. I do not have anywhere close to all of the Pinky-Street releases, as there were many special releases in addition to "A" and "B" and sometimes "C" variants of the standard releases. But I do have multiples of some releases. So... two and a half medium-sized plastic storage tubs tightly packed with Pinkys! LOL

[Image: february6.jpg]
6 February: Asuka Langley Figure, Sun Dress Outfit
Pinky Street PC2013, released in 2009

The 2009 Asuka and Rei figures were the second time Pinky Street released the Neon Genesis Evangelion pair. The earlier release was one of the first Pinky Street releases.
The 2009 release features a ball-joint at the neck, which gives the figures a bit more poseability at the neck joint, but results in a chubbier appearance to the face.
The figure includes a school uniform and a summer dress (seen here). The original Evangelion release featured the "plug suit" uniforms seen in the series.

Say, is that a "slim volume" of Emily Dickinson's poetry I see the the background? I did not know we had something like that in the house. I suppose I should read it sometime. Dickinson seems to be enduringly popular. Everything I know about her is what little I remember from an elementary school poetry lesson... when I was in elementary school, not when I was teaching. I remember she wrote about death and loss and that she was sickly and that most of her poems were not published until after her death. That's about it.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Aw, she's cute! The dress matches the one the Pullip Asuka comes with, too. http://www.pullipstyle.com/pullipstyle/p...cts_id=157
(02-07-2019, 12:42 PM)Cornflower Blue Wrote: Aw, she's cute! The dress matches the one the Pullip Asuka comes with, too.

Oh! I did not know the Pullip Asuka included the sun dress and the school uniform. I thought the red plug suit was molded on to the body. Can it be removed? Or did the doll include a second body? I see the accessories include the little wristwatch with the red strap, too! That must have been a significant accessory to the character. I've never seen the series. This is the only Pinky Street release to include a wristwatch.
I only have Rei and I got her nude. But yes, the plug suits are removable.
Lejays has a Pullip of Asuka, we call her Nova and she’s Evie’s sister in our Pullip world.
She's a cutie! Hmm... Maybe I should do a bookshelf photo. We could then play a fun game of 'guess what book is this?'
Okay, crazy cat lady in me has to coo over the cat even though it’s a figure pic... hello, Ball!!

You certainly have a lot of Pinky St figured! So I have to admit I broke down; I’ve got 3 Pinky’s on the way. Including the Sakura Wars one. I’m weak.
(02-07-2019, 11:15 PM)GreysPrincess Wrote: So I have to admit I broke down; I’ve got 3 Pinky’s on the way. Including the Sakura Wars one. I’m weak.

You have discerning taste and an appreciation for excellence. LOL I hope you love them when they arrive!
I am looking up Pinkys now, I want some. Lol.
(02-08-2019, 03:39 AM)werepuppy Wrote: I am looking up Pinkys now, I want some.

That is an ongoing hazard of the Doll A Day / Week Project: being eksposed to, and suddenly needing, things you previously did not know existed.

[Image: february7.jpg]
7 February: Asuka Langley & Rei Ayanami Figure Set
Pinky Street PC2001, released in 2004

The 2004 Asuka and Rei figures, packaged as a pair, were the first Pinky Street Neon Genesis Evangelion release and the first of several "P:Cos" sets. The "Cos" stands for "cosplay," and the figures represent PK005 Kokoro wearing the red outfit and PK004 Moé in the white uniform. P:Cos sets featured existing Pinky-Street face sculpts, sometimes with repainted eyes, wearing character costumes. (P:Chara, or "character" figures, represented actual characters from other franchises and featured unique face sculpts.)

The Rei & Asuka Evangelion 2-pack included two figures wearing "plug suits" from the anime, backpacks, and hand-held... things; I don't know what they are. I haven't seen the anime. The "ears" (neural interface clips) are molded on to the hair and cannot be removed. Unlike most Pinky-Street sets, this one does not include second outfits.

However, the set was re-issued later with school uniform second outfits and plug suits featuring black sleeves.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Rei & Asuka figures are some of the few Pinky Street figures that were actually bootlegged! For a while, Pinky Street was so popular that there were counterfeits on the market. The counterfeit figures, known as "Fakeys" or "Fakey Street" by Pinky fans, were of lower quality, with parts that did not fit well and which were often glued together. The Fakey parts were slightly different in size from genuine releases, so they did not mix and match well. Fakeys are rarely seen anymore. The counterfeit figures were packaged in simple cellophane plastic bags, not in blister packs with cardboard backing like the originals. The likelihood of inadvertently purchasing counterfeit Pinky figures is very low these days; I have not seen any listed for sale in several years.

I have photos of most of the counterfeit figures collected in an album on my Flickr account, for those who might be curious:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/puuikibeac...2686951906

One of the best remaining resources for Pinky-Street information is the "Pinky & Pentax" web site: http://mac.tidings.nu/PinkyPentax/index.shtml

The site was created by one of the Pinky Street forum members who went by the name of "Sork" or "Dr. Sork." The site is no longer updated, but it remains available as a resource and includes excellent photos and detailed descriptions of most of the Pinky Street releases.
I can confirm that both the Neon Genesis Pullips have removable plug suits.

I got Ayanamei Rei (Evie) 2nd hand, she was wearing the plug suit, and had the school outfit as well (side note: I took the suit off her almost immediately I got her 2 years ago, and I have NO IDEA where it is. It's not in the boxes with the other clothes)
And Asuka Sorya (Nova) I got recently from the sample sale - she didn't come with the plug suit, but was wearing the yellow dress & also had the school outfit.

The Pinky Street figures are amazing, I'm really enjoying the wide variety you have photographed.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
(02-08-2019, 02:08 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: I can confirm that both the Neon Genesis Pullips have removable plug suits.

Are the plug suits on the Pullips made of rubber or a stretchy fabric? I wonder how they hold up over time? I was looking on eBay, and sometimes Asuka turns up for not-insane prices mint in box. But I wonder if the plug suit, which seems to be quite form-fitting, would have deteriorated over time, or if it would have badly stained the body.
(02-08-2019, 02:12 PM)davidd Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 02:08 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: I can confirm that both the Neon Genesis Pullips have removable plug suits.

Are the plug suits on the Pullips made of rubber or a stretchy fabric? I wonder how they hold up over time? I was looking on eBay, and sometimes Asuka turns up for not-insane prices mint in box. But I wonder if the plug suit, which seems to be quite form-fitting, would have deteriorated over time, or if it would have badly stained the body.

No staining on Asuka's body, but I don't know how long she was in the suit for as she was a sample, and Rei's was white, so not stainable to the body.

They are made of a plasticy-soft-vinyl (faux-leather), and Rei's was flaking when I took it off her (little white flakes all over the place afterwards!), so I'd say it wouldn't really hold up to "play" but might be okay to stay on display.
It's similar to the issues Kanrabat (I think!) was having with the brown jacket on his Withered.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)