Werepuppy's (Attempt At) Doll-A-Day 2019!
That’s a very grown up looking Alice. I didn’t know about the Moomin shop in Covent Garden. We were in London in the area in 2014, but got distracted by the fact that Forbidden Planet was nearby and that was the afternoon for us.
There was a Jakks Pacific (of Winx Club fame) version of Alice in Wonderland? That sounds intriguing!

Strangely enough, some of my dolls end up "borrowing" Jakks Pacific clothing items, even though most pieces don't actually fit other dolls very well. The poor Winx girls end up tossed in a storage tub more under-dressed than they are to begin with in their typically skimpy outfits.

I was going to comment that this version of Alice looks considerably more mature than the typical "little girl" Alice; but then I realized that this is from the second of the Johnny Depp films, isn't it? In which Alice was no longer a child.

We've discussed the disturbingly creepy Depp Mad Hatter figures before. Alice, here, is much less disturbing.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(04-19-2019, 02:43 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: She really looks great in thet dress. While blue dress wasn't the first one, the blue variants are definitely my favorite of all Alice's dresses.

And I'm with you on the face-ups on dolls modeled after actors.

... You know, idea of Alice wearing blue has become so connected that I genuinely cannot recall what colour was first used for her dress. I know The Nursery Alice has her in yellow, but no, I don't think that was the first one... It'll come to me. Or I'll google it. 

Hot Toys show so well how much a good paint job is needed for those types of face-ups. Medicom also do fairly well in their Real Action Heroes line. Half the time I feel like Disney Store don't even deserve a "you tried" star.

(04-19-2019, 05:59 AM)Goblin Wrote: The live action doll faces are usually my least favorite because they end up looking so weird but I honestly love this Alice! She's very realistic and in a good way. Like some of the Emma Watson Belle dolls kind of looked like they got a ball of clay and punched it until she looked vaguely humanish. (They did Emma dirty on those). Some of the models were fine but others were unfortunate. 
But this Alice is so lovely! She's such a doll! (Pun intended)

Some of the earlier ones are really nice? The Oz: the Great and the Powerful witches are just beautiful, and the live action Maleficent doll is stunning, but you're not wrong when you say they do often end up looking weird. I know they were using a new way to make the heads for the live action Beauty and the Beast dolls, and while Gaston turned out really well, Belle just... really didn't. Her hairline was too high for the doll, and it just made every flaw visible. Some people did manage to fix the hair a bit, and it generally softened the features a lot. 

Thank you, though, and hee, got to enjoy a good pun! 

(04-19-2019, 10:33 AM)Elfy Wrote: That’s a very grown up looking Alice. I didn’t know about the Moomin shop in Covent Garden. We were in London in the area in 2014, but got distracted by the fact that Forbidden Planet was nearby and that was the afternoon for us.

She's from the Alice Through the Looking Glass doll range that came out. Ah, yeah, the big Forbidden Planet distracts all. Tends to be one of the better stocked ones in terms of comics and anime DVDs if you are looking. I like looking at the higher priced point figures they have in the glass display cabinets. Can't afford them, but I like looking. 

(04-19-2019, 03:46 PM)davidd Wrote: There was a Jakks Pacific (of Winx Club fame) version of Alice in Wonderland? That sounds intriguing!

Strangely enough, some of my dolls end up "borrowing" Jakks Pacific clothing items, even though most pieces don't actually fit other dolls very well. The poor Winx girls end up tossed in a storage tub more under-dressed than they are to begin with in their typically skimpy outfits.

I was going to comment that this version of Alice looks considerably more mature than the typical "little girl" Alice; but then I realized that this is from the second of the Johnny Depp films, isn't it? In which Alice was no longer a child.

We've discussed the disturbingly creepy Depp Mad Hatter figures before. Alice, here, is much less disturbing.

There was! The Toy Insider has a review. It was around the time - yet again - of Alice Through the Looking Glass and their offerings were about £10 cheaper than the Disney Store ones. Offered less articulation but honestly they weren't too bad in terms of clothing. 

(I will say, while generally speaking the other characters came out not too badly, nearly every version of the Mad Hatter figures from that line are somehow disturbingly creepy. I think it's just the character himself, tbh.)

- - - 

109. What's My Name?
[Image: 48980269_b3d0f64f597520144ed2200ea7c297e2_standard.jpg]
Uma, Daughter of Ursula! Captain of the Lost Revenge, and generally a villain kid who's motivation is one you can't help but agree with. 

Sadly, her outfit is all one piece, but she does look really cool. I wish there were actual braids in her hair, I think the deluxe doll that was on Amazon US had that but not for the UK. I ended up having to put a band in her hair after this to try to keep it under some sort of control. Someone more skilled than I am has probably managed to make very nice looking box braids for her, but alas, it is not me. 

That being said? Delighted to have her. Wish that they had made Harry Hook as well, but they did not. Then again, the boys always get the short end of the stick in this line.
Gotta love a pirate girl!

I don't suppose she comes with a sword, though, huh? None of the Monster High pirate line included swords, either. The whole anti-weapons kick... which conveniently allows manufacturers to cut costs under the guise of being socially responsible.

I might have to get one of these. I noticed my local (relatively speaking) Walmart still has some in stock.
(04-20-2019, 03:01 AM)davidd Wrote: Gotta love a pirate girl!

I don't suppose she comes with a sword, though, huh? None of the Monster High pirate line included swords, either. The whole anti-weapons kick... which conveniently allows manufacturers to cut costs under the guise of being socially responsible.

I might have to get one of these. I noticed my local (relatively speaking) Walmart still has some in stock.

Sadly no sword. However, it should be noted that Disney canon (such as it is) still suggests Ursula is a daughter of Poseidon (it was mentioned in the film notes for the animated film and directly stated in the broadway musical) which means Uma is a demigod and likely had some control over the sea and creatures within. Or at least, should do if she wasn't living under that barrier. When she is out of it she does have that giant octopus like form in water soo... Who needs a sword when you can do that?
(04-20-2019, 01:44 AM)werepuppy Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 02:43 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: She really looks great in thet dress. While blue dress wasn't the first one, the blue variants are definitely my favorite of all Alice's dresses.

And I'm with you on the face-ups on dolls modeled after actors.

... You know, idea of Alice wearing blue has become so connected that I genuinely cannot recall what colour was first used for her dress. I know The Nursery Alice has her in yellow, but no, I don't think that was the first one... It'll come to me. Or I'll google it. 

Hot Toys show so well how much a good paint job is needed for those types of face-ups. Medicom also do fairly well in their Real Action Heroes line. Half the time I feel like Disney Store don't even deserve a "you tried" star.

Yes, the first color Alice's dress ever had was yellow in The Nursery Alice (1890), the first blue dress appeared in 1903 in new recolors of Tenniel's illustrations. Uh, sorry, I'm kinda obsessed when it comes to Alice illustrations.

I love Uma's color scheme! Too bad about the braids. It seems that the limited 'exclusive' version also had painted accessories and belts and other extra stuff that the not-so-exclusive version doesn't have! Oh well. She's still very pretty!
Very fashionable pirate/demigod.
And indeed a very mature-looking Alice. Have you seen Noel Cruz's repaints?
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(04-20-2019, 07:07 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Yes, the first color Alice's dress ever had was yellow in The Nursery Alice (1890), the first blue dress appeared in 1903 in new recolors of Tenniel's illustrations. Uh, sorry, I'm kinda obsessed when it comes to Alice illustrations.

I love Uma's color scheme! Too bad about the braids. It seems that the limited 'exclusive' version also had painted accessories and belts and other extra stuff that the not-so-exclusive version doesn't have! Oh well. She's still very pretty!

No, don't be sorry! It's amazing to hear your knowledge on the subject! 

Uma's colour scheme is actually surprisingly bright for a villain kid, and yes, she's very pretty even for the standard version.

(04-20-2019, 11:04 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Very fashionable pirate/demigod.
And indeed a very mature-looking Alice.  Have you seen Noel Cruz's repaints?

Uma is the coolest.
I have! I really like the work he does.

- - - 

110. Mini Merida Sitting All Cool
[Image: 49030806_0485dbf0516692142d5e42e1c02eda2f_standard.jpg]
Born to be wild... And cool!

That ex!pression is golden!!!
That's some serious hair!
Hahaha, she's adorable!
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
Super behind with commenting on the photos - The Alice is lovely, and I agree with the comments that the live-actiion Disney dolls don't do their actor justice - the emma Watson Belle is probablt the worst offender though. (I do recall people commenting that it looked more like Justin Beiber with long hair than it did Emma Watson).

Baby Merida is supor-cute. I must do a pic of my crocheted one at some point (I can't crochet, even though I can knit, so she's from etsy).

A pity that Uma didn't have the braids - it was very much a part of her character from what I remember of the film.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
I love the mini Merida. Be great to see dolls of Merida and her triplet brothers, especially if they were bears.
(04-21-2019, 02:20 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Born to be wild... And cool!

That ex!pression is golden!!!

The animator Merida has the best facial sculpt. It's so very fitting of the character

(04-21-2019, 02:47 AM)davidd Wrote: That's some serious hair!

They really did give a lot for such a small wee doll. 

(04-21-2019, 10:54 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Hahaha, she's adorable!

Thanks smile

(04-21-2019, 04:28 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: Super behind with commenting on the photos - The Alice is lovely, and I agree with the comments that the live-actiion Disney dolls don't do their actor justice - the emma Watson Belle is probablt the worst offender though.  (I do recall people commenting that it looked more like Justin Beiber with long hair than it did Emma Watson).

Baby Merida is supor-cute.  I must do a pic of my crocheted one at some point (I can't crochet, even though I can knit, so she's from etsy).

A pity that Uma didn't have the braids - it was very much a part of her character from what I remember of the film.

I heard that about the Belle doll as well. I didn't see it, but then again, I've never been a Beiber fan so I doubt I would, anyway. It was not accurate at all to Emma Watson, though, that much was plainly clear.

Ooh, that would be so cute to see! 

Oh yeah, the box braids are her signature hair style, and it was a cool look for her. 

(04-21-2019, 04:49 PM)Elfy Wrote: I love the mini Merida. Be great to see dolls of Merida and her triplet brothers, especially if they were bears.

... I will need to look around for my little versions of the triplets. They're... somewhere.

- - - 

111. Moana
[Image: 49030812_f16b9efa2dcc220eb0a6ee0a6b22dfaa_standard.jpg]
...Realised I never took a nice profile like shot of Moana. So I fixed that.
That girl exudes confidence!