Lejays17 Doll-A-Week 2020
(11-17-2020, 08:20 AM)Loona Wrote: I'm a massive bird lover, so I'm sure I wouldn't mind the sound of either of them if they also lived here. I especially love listening to kookaburras on video footage, they make me laugh just like laughing babies make other people laugh grin and they also look super cute.
Magpie swooping does sound scary though - but it also led me to a discovery when I was looking up related information a few years ago: upon hearing about it so often, I was wondering why they never do this over here, they just rattle around (that's what we usually call the sound they make) - and upon research I realised that what I thought is a magpie over there, is, in fact, not what we call a magpie over here. Similar in colour, but a different bird smile

(11-17-2020, 01:40 PM)Elfy Wrote: Magpies can be evil birds, and I say that as someone who has been swooped by them. My parents had a dog that hated magpies with a passion. I believe it stemmed from an incident in puppy hood, when she was given a bone to chew on by my parents, but they noticed some magpies eyeing off the bone and as Kelly was at the time a very small puppy, my parents were concerned that the magpies might peck at her eyes to try and get the bone, so they brought her inside. She sat at the back screen door and watched the magpies peck all the meat off HER bone. From that day forth she hated magpies and would always chase them whenever she saw one. Other birds didn't bother her, she would often let them play in the yard, but whenever she saw a magpie she went it. Being Richmond supporters, we were totally on board with this behaviour (the mortal enemy of the Richmond supporter is the Collingwood supporter, and the emblem of the Collingwood Football Club is the magpie, which is why they are referred to as the Pies). Having said all that magpies do sound nice when they're caroling.

I agree. I mean, I tolerate magpies because they are just birds being birds after all but they are very clever and territorial. Mama magpies are especially vicious protecting their young. It's definitely an Australian thing, I never really heard of similar species being like that overseas. Interesting that they are that different though! I don't know anyone who lives here who isn't at least partially triggered when they see a magpie-- at least when I walk under a tree with one I tense up immediately. So far I have been pretty lucky and not swooped too bad, but one time they chased my brother for a good km on his bike. Oh no! Poor Kelly! I don't blame her for hating magpies after suffering such an injustice! Poor thing. Magpies and crows used to come right up under the verandah to steal my cats food all the time too. Very sneaky. No fear at all. LOL 

But galahs and kookaburras are the best. ♥ There are other native calls and cries I hear but I don't know what species they are. Once we saw an owl in our tree which was a treat though. I think it was a boobook owl... on listening to the call I still hear them at night so I think they are still around.

I knew Tigers hated The Pies but how do Richmond supporters feel about the Crows? LOL

Sorry to derail with bird talk. LOL Sweatdrop
♥ ~ |  INSTA | FLICKR | FB | ~ ♥

Dunneh. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Oh yeah, we tend to hate the Crows on principle because they’re from South Australia, but we broke them in the Grand Final in 2017, so it’s all good now. I don’t mind crows as a bird, though. Wattle birds are pretty vicious too. I saved another bird being attacked by one of them in our front yard one morning. If I hadn’t walked out and chased it off, I have no doubt it would have killed the other one, which I think was a native mynah.
The Crows are our second-favourite team around here:

[Image: 5531612608_53371c9688.jpg]

LOL
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
Ah yes the Adeladies.
(11-18-2020, 03:37 PM)Elfy Wrote: Ah yes the Adeladies.

LOL LOL

Edit: You are right about wattlebirds they can totally get vicious.

Lotsof interesting chat about birds here - in our backyard we get a variety of birds, and can see / hear others around the place as well.  rarely get rosellas / lorikeets in the yard, but there's a family group in the next street over that we see on our walks that way.

Always nice to see the Adelaidies davidd (but not the actual footy team  LOL)

We too advantage of the nice (but not hot) weather, and potentially the last sport-free weekend for a month, and went to our favourite photography beach.  It was relatively deserted, so good to be able to do the photos.  We arrived as the tide was going out, so the rocks were uncovered & the little pools left behind were perfect for Amelia & Bea to enjoy themselves.

Amelia & Bea enjoying the sunshine (I really shouldn't take these two together, as Pullip Amelia is called Bea, as I already had an Amelia when she arrived  LOL)

[Image: 08ad9b29aff23cdc97cde64566ba378f.jpg]

There had been a cliff-fall at some point, so it was roped off for safety.
[Image: 9d3fdd629312a75916b3165aefe82219.jpg]

Standing in a rock pool, looking out to the ocean
[Image: 0ab86d0a2fc96dd6f60269a7777293db.jpg]

Relaxing - she should be wearing a hat & sunnies while lying there!
[Image: bbc15460b78701a88dd570343e5094fa.jpg]
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
Well, I think Not-Amelia Amelia and Amelia-Bea make a fine pair of friends, and it looks like they had a wonderful time! Or... you had a wonderful time taking them to the beach.

Why is the one section roped off with such an intimidating sign? Rock falls from the cliff, I'm guessing.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(11-22-2020, 05:20 PM)davidd Wrote: Why is the one section roped off with such an intimidating sign? Rock falls from the cliff, I'm guessing.

Yes, there's always been warning signs at that spot about the dangers of rockfalls, and there must has been one recently-ish hence these roping-off & signs. It's quite overhanging at that point, so it;s not a surprise it's collapsed. It's not near the road / car park area, so no chances of the cars ending up on the beach.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
I like how shocked Amelia is at the warning sign.
Yeah sorry we hijacked your thread to talk about birds. ♥ Seeing a lorikeet/rosella out and about is always special as they are so colorful and my eye is always drawn to the rainbow flash.

Amelia Bea and Purezza Amelia LOL Why do you do this to me? I'm already easily confused. LOL Great to see your Bea, I never see people post pics of their Amelia, she is so rare.

Both Amelia and Bea are cute as heck. I really like the name Bea. Looks like they had a great time at the beach. I love love love both their outfits, especially Amelia's one (BNP I mean). The little headband is so cute, goes with her hair.

I love seeing more of your trip to Canada Bay. It looks like you had a real great time! ♥ Question, how do people react when you take your girls out in public? Do you get many reactions? I've always been a bit shy to take them out and about.

They look to have enjoyed their day.
How nice to have a whole beach to yourself! Girls must have been delighted to be able to enjoy that. I love Prague, and Czech Republic, but man, we sure could use some sea and beaches.
They look like they had a fun time. I love the rock pool picture especially!
To Bea, or not to Bea... LOL
Canada Bay? Yay! smile
I like the shocked photo too, and yes, Amelia, you definitely need your hat and sunnies. You don’t want to turn yellow and get cataracts on your eyechips!
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(11-22-2020, 06:45 PM)dunneh Wrote: Yeah sorry we hijacked your thread to talk about birds. ♥ Seeing a lorikeet/rosella out and about is always special as they are so colorful and my eye is always drawn to the rainbow flash.

Amelia Bea and Purezza Amelia LOL Why do you do this to me? I'm already easily confused. LOL Great to see your Bea, I never see people post pics of their Amelia, she is so rare.

Both Amelia and Bea are cute as heck. I really like the name Bea. Looks like they had a great time at the beach. I love love love both their outfits, especially Amelia's one (BNP I mean). The little headband is so cute, goes with her hair.

I love seeing more of your trip to Canada Bay. It looks like you had a real great time! ♥ Question, how do people react when you take your girls out in public? Do you get many reactions? I've always been a bit shy to take them out and about.

A certain member of this forum seemed to corner the market on Amelia's, that may be why you rarely see pictures of them.