Neon's A Doll A Day Challenge 2018
davidd - doooo iiiit! Get the Cheshire Caaaaat! You know you waaant heeeer!

Alliecat - it would be great to have someone to send a dolly postcard to. People wouldn't really enjoy it...

Lejays - I think they'll look just as awesome in your lovely garden! And thank you!

Day 350

I wasn't in the mood for taking photos today. At all.

[Image: 76f57c0551815b9fb6bb2a5e64d089ce.jpg]

My 'Dolly Japan Volume 2 Cover Model presents @Babybee x Pure Embers x Momolito collaboration' girls!
I'm not in the mood for taking pictures today, either, and I can guarantee that my photo will not look like your "Calendar-Caliber, Greeting Card Grade," totally stunning dual portrait!

What is your process and what are your tools tools for snapping a "quick pic" like this on days when you're not in to it?
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
davidd - thank you! When I want to take a quick snap and call it a day, I just position lights in 'safe' way instead of trying to get the best light possible, and I make do with the first decent photo without taking tons of them and picking the best one...

Day 351

My girls from Steampunk Project line:

[Image: e9969c10cd4f6466519a8a62a543cfea.jpg]
We were wondering how the illusion that Laura is taller than Alura worked last night. But looking at it again, I can see that Laura's standing a tiny bit further forward. It's a lovely portrait.

And the steampunk duo is stunning I love the white hair against the backdrop
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
(12-17-2018, 05:39 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: it would be great to have someone to send a dolly postcard to. People wouldn't really enjoy it...
I dunno... I send dolly Christmas cards every year, that Shutterfly prints for me.  Although only a few people get those.  And I sell a few at the summer market.  Those who take time to look at them seem amused.
(12-18-2018, 06:11 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: We were wondering how the illusion that Laura is taller than Alura worked last night.  But looking at it again, I can see that Laura's standing a tiny bit further forward.  It's a lovely portrait.
I think the top of Alura's head fading into the shadow helps somewhat.

Both nice pairs!
Just discovered you can click "quote" on each post and don't need the 'multiquote' that has disappeared...
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
Lejays - The different height is mostly caused by Laura's high heels vs Alura's mary janes.

Alliecat - I either didn't type or accidentally deleted part of the post - I meant to say that people around me wouldn't enjoy it, I just somehow lost the 'around me' part...

Day 352

Migraine strikes again! Oh well, it was Invisible Man's turn anyways, so it wouldn't be better even if I could see what I was doing...

[Image: 5576b6e805b277659a8045b106883a42.jpg]

Black Butler - The Book of Circus boys.
Every time I see this guy with his top hat I think he needs a beard so he could look like Abe Lincoln.
Perhaps Honest Abe probably wouldn't be widely recognized in the Czech Republic. But here in the USA, "top hat" brings to mind either "Abe Lincoln" or "magician."

Whereas Eos brings to mind... eBay! (Where currently available examples are all pretty pricey at the moment.)
(12-19-2018, 01:40 PM)davidd Wrote: Every time I see this guy with his top hat I think he needs a beard so he could look like Abe Lincoln.
Perhaps Honest Abe probably wouldn't be widely recognized in the Czech Republic. But here in the USA, "top hat" brings to mind either "Abe Lincoln" or "magician."

Whereas Eos brings to mind... eBay! (Where currently available examples are all pretty pricey at the moment.)

I do know portraits of Abraham Lincoln (they always make me think he was probably able to shoot laser beams from his eyes), but I've never felt inclined to having him in a doll form. Although she didn't wear top hat on regular basis, Marlene Dietrich must be the one to have pulled that look off in a most spectacular way. Fred Astaire is runner-up!

Day 353

My favorite steampower-couple!

[Image: 0380653ffadd56d7c9d58eeab94905e0.jpg]

They're both from Steampunk Project - Second Season / Steampunk Eclipse line. I did this mini-series because I wondered how many lines I have more than one doll from. (Seriously, where does 'from' go to in this sentence? To the end? Before 'how'? English is killing me and I'm killing English!)
(12-20-2018, 02:48 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I did this mini-series because I wondered how many lines I have more than one doll from. (Seriously, where does 'from' go to in this sentence? To the end? Before 'how'? English is killing me and I'm killing English!)

Regular, everyday, normal English language speakers and writers would have said or written that sentence exactly as you did. Grammar snobs would probably prefer placing "from" before "how," as you suggested: "... because I wondered from how many lines I have more than one doll." In this case, the "correct" way of stating the idea is less clear than the "wrong" way.

Not only are you not "killing English," you have a much more thorough grasp of English language grammar than most native speakers... or at least, more than most native speakers here in the U.S.

And this photo is marvelous fun! More top hats! You apparently have a "Top Hat Club" among your Pullips!
Yeah, I'm the grammar police, but I wouldn't ticket you for that LOL As davidd said, most people would write the same. So many people who are 'supposed' to be first-language speakers couldn't construct a proper sentence to save their lives. No one would ever guess it wasn't your first language. Really.
Even though, "A preposition is a word you should never end a sentence with." wink

(12-20-2018, 02:48 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I do know portraits of Abraham Lincoln (they always make me think he was probably able to shoot laser beams from his eyes)...
Haha LOL In younger photos he looks quite a bit less stern. I was interested to see some when I visited a historic site last summer. He looked quite different.

And, your steampower couple are very striking. Her hair is so neat ... and... perfect.... grin
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(12-20-2018, 11:54 AM)Alliecat Wrote: Yeah, I'm the grammar police, but I wouldn't ticket you for that.

No pressure or anything, but yes, Alliecat is a working professional journalist, and I hold a university degree in Journalism and another in Education, so we're keeping an eye on you! LOL
(And in my case, I've been paying closer attention to how I phrase things since you joined the forum, because your grammar and your use of colloquial everyday English are both better than mine!)
English language is weird so it's not surprising a non-native speaker has problems. Most native speakers have problems LOL

You make me think a bit more about how I phrase things when I write in the forum (I can get a bit lazy with my word choices, so this is a good thing).

Loving the pairs of lines, you're inspiring me to do similar things with mine - although, looking at the girls in the corner, I only have one multi-line group (2 Steampunk World ladies - Cheshire Cat & Mad Hatter)
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
Thank you for your input, everyone! You know what's upsetting? Putting the preposition to the end of the sentence like that is something they taught us at school... Oh well. It isn't the worst nonsense I've heard there...

Day 354

Aaaand back to migraine.

The snow in Prague usually melts the moment it touches the ground, but today, it lasted for a few hours, so I snapped a quick photo to document the, uh, momentous event. It's kinda sad, back when I was a kid, we used to have snow from the end of November to March...

[Image: 12cc452352384b0e1641839081c74ea7.jpg]

And I slapped filter on this one, too:

[Image: ab08ec7b1856a550bd438b4b5072244b.jpg]
Beautiful example of Abby, and the perfect weather in which to showcase her wintery style!

The morning after a fresh snowfall is always the prettiest. The beauty is transient, however... unless mud and slush is your thing.
This showcases Abbey beautifully.