Neon's A Doll A Day Challenge 2018
Haha, of course it counts even if you had to google it!

To ex.plain how this photo happened - this whole thing started as 'can my dolls pose on this giraffe?' and then turned into 'let's make this funny somehow', so I decided to make the giraffe (whose real name is Miriam Makeba) portray a famous war horse, and Copenhagen was basically the only option, because Marengo was on the defeated side (plus, I never liked Napoleon), and the only other war horse I know by name is one from old Czech folk legends and his story is very sad, and probably no one on Dolly Market would know what to search for, as Wikipedia doesn't have an English page on him. So that's how DG Darling became the Duke of Wellington. Too bad the only way she can ride Miriam/Copenhagen is like this, holding the neck, because ideally, I would want her to stand up in stirrups (except I don't even have a toy horse saddle, let alone a giraffe one) and wave a hat, as Wellington did when Prussian corps and General Chassé's division arrived to the field and things started to look up for the Seventh Coalition.
Hah, the photo is hilarious and the reference is fascinating
(12-28-2018, 09:16 PM)werepuppy Wrote: Hah, the photo is hilarious and the reference is fascinating

Thank you!

Day 362

I didn't have any ideas, so just a random MH group-photo.

[Image: 335352939edc764ff259b9748b15df95.jpg]
Oh, all those monsters look so wonderful together. I love how Frankie is posed in her bigger self's arms, and Draculaura seems to be trying to keep her hat on. Great group shot ^^
(12-29-2018, 12:47 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: I didn't have any ideas, so just a random MH group-photo.

Not entirely "random." Each of these figures is "special" in some way: limited editions, collectors' editions, "giant-sized," or, in the case of First Wave Frankie, she's the "first" and the original Face of Monster High!

Beautiful photo. Again, the lighting is superb. And again, I'm impressed by how you are able to get so many of them to stand so nicely together.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(12-28-2018, 08:54 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: Haha, of course it counts even if you had to google it!

To ex.plain how this photo happened - this whole thing started as 'can my dolls pose on this giraffe?' and then turned into 'let's make this funny somehow', so I decided to make the giraffe (whose real name is Miriam Makeba) portray a famous war horse, and Copenhagen was basically the only option, because Marengo was on the defeated side (plus, I never liked Napoleon), and the only other war horse I know by name is one from old Czech folk legends and his story is very sad, and probably no one on Dolly Market would know what to search for, as Wikipedia doesn't have an English page on him. So that's how DG Darling became the Duke of Wellington. Too bad the only way she can ride Miriam/Copenhagen is like this, holding the neck, because ideally, I would want her to stand up in stirrups (except I don't even have a toy horse saddle, let alone a giraffe one) and wave a hat, as Wellington did when Prussian corps and General Chassé's division arrived to the field and things started to look up for the Seventh Coalition.

We want to hear the sad Czech horse story! smile
(12-29-2018, 04:53 AM)fishy Wrote: We want to hear the sad Czech horse story! smile

You want to make me cry! Basically, once upon a time, there was a very greedy monarch (his name was Křesomysl), and under his rule, all people worked in mines to get precious metals, and nobody worked on fields, and soon, famine was around the corner.

One of monarch's vassals (named Horymír) tried to persuade people to go grow some food, but they laughed at him and burned down his court, so he and a handful of his faithful followers filled up the mines with dirt, but they got caught and Horymír was imprisoned in Křesomysl's castle (on a really high cliff) and sentenced to death. He could have a last wish, and since he had an awesome horse (whose name was Šemík), he wished to ride him one last time around the courtyard.

However, he commanded Šemík to jump from the cliff instead, and the poor pony did exactly that, and then crossed the river under the cliff and brought Horymír back home safely, and then died because he was badly wounded from all the extreme cross-country his asshole of an owner made him do. Křesomysl was so impressed with Šemík's loyalty, bravery and perseverance, that he pardoned Horymír.

Technically, Horymír is the good guy in this story, but I don't like him.

The name Šemík is possibly derived from Schemming, Witege's horse, but nobody knows for sure.
Yes, well done for getting them all to pose nicely.  I get stuff like this set up and someone falls over...
Alas, no magic in the Czech story, or the loyal horse would've been turned into an immortal star-being to prance across the heavens... slash

OK, well, I have to admit I didn't "get it" after all, because I googled "Copenhagen" and "giraffe" and came up with something entirely different.  My Napoleonic era history interest is in the seafaring side so I didn't know about the horse.  So I thought they were, like, going "onward" to Copenhagen, which in the context of my google search, would have maybe been a bad idea.
Not the first time in my life I ended up with a completely different understanding of something.  Sometimes things go by you kinda sideways Dead
For those wanting a sad story, this is what I found.  Although more like a should-make-you-livid story.  Sorry.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/f...o-protests
[Image: 52753689362_648099ee70_o.jpg]
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
(12-29-2018, 11:00 AM)Alliecat Wrote: OK, well, I have to admit I didn't "get it" after all, because I googled "Copenhagen" and "giraffe" and came up with something entirely different.

Yeah, that's what I found, too.
They're not dolls, they're action figures!
(12-29-2018, 01:13 PM)davidd Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 11:00 AM)Alliecat Wrote: OK, well, I have to admit I didn't "get it" after all, because I googled "Copenhagen" and "giraffe" and came up with something entirely different.
Yeah, that's what I found, too.

Bahaha! This makes me feel so much better! LOL Although I wish I hadn't found it. People suck.
[Image: 52754230731_a6068b46d4_o.jpg][Image: 50534896333_d4a2b8e718_o.jpg][Image: 52754472289_1f6d6c34b1_o.jpg][Image: 49782607208_b108a0ee26_o.jpg]
I've heard about the zoo controversy, but I get really really upset by these things, so I wouldn't be able to use it for funny reference, even if it was for a good reason, like using humor to show that people suck. To be honest, I completely repressed that memory, so it didn't really come to mind when I was doing the photo...

It's just a crazy photo of giraffe-riding doll storming into that cartoony kind of battle where fists are the most dangerous weapon and bruises are the worst injury...

ETA: This thread is getting dangerously full of tragically deceased animals!

ETA 2: Oh, there's just a teeny tiny bit of magic in Šemík's story - the village where Horymír supposedly lived is real and Šemík's grave is there, and it is said to protect the village (although, there aren't any remains, and there probably never were any, not even bones of some other horse).
Day 363

“OK ladies, this is for New Dolls - 2018 photo. Look at the camera and try to look cool!”
“I always look cool! Oh, and by the way, I don’t think Melody can hear you, owner.”
“It’s getting near daaawn, when lights close their tired eyes; I’ll soon be with you, my lo-ooove…”
“I need a hairspray, STAT!”
“Did she say cool? Because I’m not sure I’m cool. I’m more of a zzzap kind of ghoul, haha…”
“Frankie…”
“Besides, this dress is more cute than cool. But you look very cool, Clawdeen! How do you-”
“Frankie! Calm down!”
“For how long exactly am I supposed to keep this pose?”
“Um, ladies, can we please get this over with? It’s just one photo… Ladies? Oookaaay, I’ll just… *click* ...There we go. I guess this one will do…”

[Image: 3f9b35cb2f4aa227834b021abee0d08a.jpg]

Whew. These are non-Pullip dolls I bought this year. MH sig Jinafire, Killer Style Operetta, Gloom Beach Frankie and Ghouls Rule Clawdeen; and EAH sig Melody and Spring Unsprung Cedar. The real hell will break loose tomorrow, when I attempt 2018 Pullip Army photo…
Oh! Love the wrangling of them all! Each comment just fits the characters perfectly.

Spring Unsprung Cedar was my first non-signature EAH. It's also the only complete line I have (except Kitty as she never appeared here). Jinafire is stunning.
My Girls: Alice Mint du Jardine (Lottie), Brand New Purrezza (Amelia), Ayanamei Rei (Evie), Princess Ann/Roman Holiday (Kit), Aquel (Becky), Scarlet (Izzy), Meg (Jo-Meg), Laura (Antimony), Nahh-Ato (Shala), Chicca (Maeve), Peter Pan (Meredith), VeryBerryPop (Daisy), SDCC2016 Wonder Woman (Diana), Taffy (Tansy), Amelia (Beatrice), Steampunk Cheshire Cat (Antoinette), Arietta (Ashli), Naoko (Zoey), Mocha MIO (Nyxie), Steampunk Mad Hatter (Hattie), Sapphire Princess Knight (Roni), Steampunk Alice (Lizette), Asoka Sorayu (Nova), Steampunk Taeyang Dodo (Theodore), Steampunk Isul White Rabbit (Finn), Tiphona (Felicity), Anthy Himemiya (Ester), Mocha MIO (honey), Alte (Bethan)
Remembering the fun we had assembling the crew for our annual Christmas shot, I look forward to seeing your Pullip army in all of their glory, neon.
Wow, a great variety of additions to your family next year. Looking forward to seeing your Pullip Army Photo. And I like your interpretation of Copenhagen much much better. Have to admit I did not read the articles in any depth because I would also get very upset.
We should all live in a real world of giraffe-riding dolls with nothing worse than fists and bruises.