Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Daily Photo Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: safarigirlz4.jpg]
Adventures in the Uncanny Valley

YM Toys head sculpt on TBLeague body with GI Joe uniform and accessories.
Oh she looks ... yeah, uncanny valley is the right term. Also a bit ... spooked?

- - -

Emerald

[Image: 64720845_985530c2545beea1418a2e9d1081b1d4_standard.jpg]
Arrival date: 13th January 2020

Erm... I got really lucky at the weekend and won one of my vintage grails. Emerald is a doll from 1972, with a gimmick of light up eyes. She was made by Girls' World which appears to be a division of Milton Bradley, and was only really around for a year. She's about 6 inches tall, and a chubby little thing.

As you can see, her colouring is really nice and honestly she would have done well had she been released around the time of Monster High I think. My Emerald came without any clothing, so the dress is one that I very quickly sewed up today after she arrived. I'll need to see about getting her little shoes, and a proper witches hat.

I'm honestly still in a bit of shock I have her, frankly. When you have a vintage doll want, you never think you'll actually get one... And yet, here she is, being utterly adorable.

(Yes, she'll appear in my ADAD at some point...)
I am in shock, too. Odd looking little thing. I've never heard of this line. She makes me think of a cross between Troll Dolls and Liddle Kiddles.

So many curious and interesting lines have appeared and disappeared without a trace over the decades. How did you ever learn of the Girls World Emerald doll?

I'm sure you've researched these dolls thoroughly, but here's an interesting web page (that you've probably already seen) that includes cleaning and restoration tips, including how to replace the light bulb if necessary:

http://www.funnybunny.se/articles/emeral...ald-witch/
(01-14-2020, 12:29 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]I am in shock, too. Odd looking little thing. I've never heard of this line. She makes me think of a cross between Troll Dolls and Liddle Kiddles.

So many curious and interesting lines have appeared and disappeared without a trace over the decades. How did you ever learn of the Girls World Emerald doll?

I'm sure you've researched these dolls thoroughly, but here's an interesting web page (that you've probably already seen) that includes cleaning and restoration tips, including how to replace the light bulb if necessary:

http://www.funnybunny.se/articles/emeral...ald-witch/

Interestingly? I think there may have been a Liddle Kiddle version of her. I can't really remember where/when I first heard of her, but I've seen enough pictures since I started collecting that she's always ended up high on my wish list. 

I am debating whether or not to replace the bulb - honestly, I'm not entirely fussed about the gimmick part of her and considering that she's from the 70s, I would be hesistant to try anything out in that regard. Still, she's an adorable little addition to my collection.
What an interesting little lady! At first I thought she was supposed to be an alien, because of her colors and big eyes. Was she the only doll in this line?
Oh I love her! I am super into vintage dolls from the 60's-80's, and I think I have seen her before when doing research for other dolls. She seems so fun!!

Hey guys! Haven't been around much but have a photo I just took spur of the moment!

[Image: 49386263983_1e3468e25f_z.jpg]Persephone by Haley, on Flickr
What did she do? She’s far too sweet and innocent to be locked up.
Bea, a member of the Auxiliary Cohort of the Ameliani, would like to report the following:

"This Bag has both a Gift AND a Present in it.  It was also in a Box, but it wasn't White Socks or a Russian/Chinese Bird's Nesting Doll."
[Image: ca39b82b641b06e36a8d44e0c49710d7.jpg]

"Please meet the newest dolly family member!  She is Gorjuss Little Foxes."
[Image: 59be6132d97a0fe276bd1eab7a0fa242.jpg]

(She'll be unboxed & photographed properly this weekend - but I wanted to do this before Davidd was Away from Keyboard at the end of the week)
[Image: 43f5563f1d4529048624857d26683d7d.jpg]
@Elfy: ha! I didn't intend for the chair to make it look like a jail cell, although I guess it kinda looks that way. She's definitely probably the least 'sweet and innocent' doll in this house, for sure, although I don't think jail would do her any good, as I doubt it could contain her, seeing as she's a witch. XD

That doll is so cool, Lejays! I can't wait to see her fully unboxed!
Persephone does look like she's hiding something...

Also, Lejays, that's the Gorjuss I'm looking at, too! Isn't she just really pretty?
Oh My  An Australian Amelia! How exciting to see a representative of the Auxiliary Cohort of the Ameliani!

(Be careful with her! They tend to be very active recruiters!)

Gorjuss Little Foxes ups the stripey socks game with... a stripey scarf!

Thank you for posting this before I leave! It gave me a little thrill to see an Amelia when I clicked on this topic today!
Persephone says to tell you she has no reason to hide anything, she's very proud to be an evil little murderous witch.

David, when I clicked this thread earlier and saw LeJay's Amelia, I legitimately thought I'd accidentally clicked your ADAD thread instead of the Daily Photo Thread and clicked back only to realize that in fact I WAS in the right thread, someone else was just posting Amelia for a change. LOL. I might put mine in my ADAD sometime soon just to tickle your fancy.
(01-16-2020, 04:11 AM)DeadlyNova Wrote: [ -> ]I might put mine in my ADAD sometime soon just to tickle your fancy.

Oh, you also have an Amelia? Awesome! Everybody should have an Amelia in their collection.

(For being a "limited edition" there certainly seem to be a fair number of them around! I guess that suggests that the world of Pullip collecting is relatively small... err... I mean, exclusive!)
Persephone looks quite chic. Congrats on the new arrival, Lejays!
The Little Foxes Gorjuss looks even cuter in real life. What’s your Amelia’s name, @DeadlyNova? Ours is Bea. David’s are all called Amelia to fit in with their hive mind, but there must be a dreadful confusion, because like Drusilla from Buffy with the stars they’re all named the same thing.