Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11-29-2019, 03:08 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]...NGL I would love to see that film. Does Oddwickshire have a film production company and would they be willing?

Ah, there isn't one. Somehow, they prefer live performances or reading... I have to give it a thought...

(11-29-2019, 06:45 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Two different shots of two beautiful ladies.

The Pullips look very elegant together, and the Monster High look like the poster for a movie, or maybe a book cover.
How interesting the Ghoulia’s hair isn’t that bright in life than it is in photos.  I have a cardigan I knitted that has a similar oddness in photos.  In life, you can see that there is some subtle variations in colour in one part (hand-dyed yarn, so expected), but in photos the same section looks striped.  It’s really weird.

(11-29-2019, 11:22 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Lovely rich colours in the original.  (Can you tell I'm not a fan of filters? xp )
Must be something to do with the digital processing of certain colours... Sunsette's hair occasionally looks a bit neon (or, her old wig did).

Thank you both!
I guess some materials just do this... I have a glass candleholder that is light purple in daylight, and light mint in artificial light.

Day 333

I love my steampunk Pullips, but I hate how their stock keeps falling apart. I need to fix one of Rebecca's belts, and she's going to need a new corset.

[Image: 6da189a1bb32e75351c65662aec779bf.jpg]

I like this filter. It gives the photos old dutch painting vibes.

[Image: 559a6f901e0e5330fb7f4a28636dadc6.jpg]
Ooh, yes I agree with those vibes.

There's a level of suspense in it too
I get the vibes too.
Thank you both!

Day 334

Liselotte joined me for some roasted chestnuts today. Roasted chestnuts are a traditional thing around these parts, especially in autumn and early winter (or as long as the supply lasts). Are roasted chestnunts a thing where you live?

[Image: e46e4fe0c24c6c3acde3940a6ddb18f3.jpg]
Liselotte looks very happy to be sharing in the treat.

I do think they are a bit of a thing, just not in this area? I do see them at the Christmas markets though.
Well, other than the song... people don't really do it here. Do you do them over a fire, or in an oven? Would like to try them smile
Rebecca is lovely, but it's a bummer about the stock. Groove QC has been sliding for some time, I guess. slash
I do see people selling roasted chestnuts in the city sometimes, of course we do it in the wrong season for you. I’ve never had the courage to try them, I may not like the taste. I hope Liselotte enjoys the treat, though.
(12-01-2019, 04:11 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Liselotte looks very happy to be sharing in the treat.

I do think they are a bit of a thing, just not in this area? I do see them at the Christmas markets though.

Her happy face gives me life! All of my dolls are cute and pleasant to look at, but my anime darlings have have some extra mood-boosting abilities.

I know that roasted chestnuts are a thing in central, southern and at least part of eastern Europe, but I have no idea about northern Europe, the Isles, and other continents. Here, it's more of a fall/winter treat rather than specifically Christmas one.

(12-01-2019, 09:01 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Well, other than the song... people don't really do it here.  Do you do them over a fire, or in an oven?  Would like to try them smile
Rebecca is lovely, but it's a bummer about the stock.  Groove QC has been sliding for some time, I guess.  slash

I don't make my own, but I know they can be made in oven. For me, the whole appeal of roasted chestnuts is getting them outside in cold weather from - let me throw another Czech word at you - kaštanář. It's a term for street vendor specializing in roasting chestnuts, and I didn't find English equivalent...

My steampunk Pullips suffer from it the most. I'm probably going to have to make them completely new gubbins at some point...

(12-01-2019, 09:51 AM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]I do see people selling roasted chestnuts in the city sometimes, of course we do it in the wrong season for you. I’ve never had the courage to try them, I may not like the taste. I hope Liselotte enjoys the treat, though.

That's interesting! I'm surprised they're ripe in the middle of the summer (or maybe they're imported)... Since the whole point of roasted chestnuts is that they're warm - when you're out n' about in cold weather, you have something warm to eat and the paper cone (or bag) is warm in your hands, summer is probably not the best season to enjoy them...

If you don't feel like trying them, you're not missing out on much, they are mostly tasteless, just slightly sweet and 'nutty', and the texture is mushy but at the same time somewhat grainy, plus, if they're not done well, they're impossible to peel.

There's just something really nice and nostalgic about eating roasted chestnuts in late autumn, and they appear in some children's stories I like, which was the biggest reason I wanted to try some.

Day 335

Almost there!

[Image: 2ecb982cb84e8c78df7d6fe6eaa9afe1.jpg]

"Subjects! The last month of the challenge is upon us! You have done well so far, I am pleased with your results! Grit your teeth and endure for just a little longer, we're almost there!"
She's so encouraging smile
Oh a Royal Edict!
Thank you, Your Internal Majesty
One must listen to the Royal Edict!

She looks very regal & commanding there.

Echoing Elfy about the chestnuts - we see them sometimes on our Christmas "ex-peditions" to the city in summer, but I don't recall seeing them in winter on similar ex-peditions.
I understand about the nostalgia-effect of things that you had in childhood, it brings back the warm fuzzy memories of life when younger.
Thanks guys!

Day 336

Migraine photo. Also, surprise lavender photo!

So this lavender is a frost hardy cultivar, which I interpreted as 'will not die if you leave it out during winter', so I cut her at the end of October and left her outside. But rather than simply withstanding the low temperatures, she's more like 'oh look, December, what a great time for personal growth!' kind of gal. So she started sprouting new sprigs! And we're not even having a warm December, we have pretty average temperatures! NOTHING CAN STOP THE LAVENDER ORDER OF CHOSEN ONES!!!!!! 

[Image: 072f3f5c23fab4da407329071b3c03f9.jpg]
The Lavender Order of Chosen Ones returns!
(11-30-2019, 10:50 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you both!

Day 334

Liselotte joined me for some roasted chestnuts today. Roasted chestnuts are a traditional thing around these parts, especially in autumn and early winter (or as long as the supply lasts). Are roasted chestnunts a thing where you live?

[Image: e46e4fe0c24c6c3acde3940a6ddb18f3.jpg]

Chestnuts used to be common here, but now they aren't. In fact, I associate them more with Japanese food (candied ones are a traditional sweet.) I've never seen them in a Western dish. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/th...-chestnuts