Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: Neon’s A Doll A Migraine-less Day, More Or Less - 2019 edition!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would never really have looked at MH before all your photos. This forum is very educational LOL
And Spectra looks very elegant here. Great portrait.
Oh, I don't know this particular line but this Spectra is gorgeous. She looks very contemplative in this picture, as if musing on some great philosophical query.

Or maybe just wondering what to have for dinner.
(05-29-2019, 03:36 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I don't know this particular line but this Spectra is gorgeous. She looks very contemplative in this picture, as if musing on some great philosophical query.

What to have for dinner is a great philosophical question, in my opinion.
Is it an at-home or going-out night.? Should it be hot or cold? Leftovers or a new meal? So many questions!
(05-29-2019, 07:12 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]Those cheekbones!  Always my favourite part of the Spectra doll.

(05-29-2019, 07:51 AM)Goblin Wrote: [ -> ]The most stunning colors! Her cheekbones absolutely slay me.

I know, right? Her sculpt, her color scheme, everything about Spectra is so elegant. And oh my gosh, those eyes!

(05-29-2019, 09:32 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]Make a Splash? Another MH series with which I am not familiar.

This is a lovely, soft portrait of Spectra. She can often appear harsh or stern, but you have captured and conveyed her gentle side here.

My apologies! I keep using the wrong name because I got used to it. Story time! Mattel released this line in 2013, without giving it even the slightest hint of a name! Fandom started calling the line Swim Class (after Dance Class), but as the line was about beach and not a swimming lesson, Make a Splash became more popular. Then Mattel re-released the line one year later, naming it Beach Beasties - I'm pretty sure you have Venus from this line. As the line didn't have any official name I could put into my collection catalogue at the time, I went with Make a Splash, and I've been using it ever since. Several fan-made databases use it, too. But it's the same line as Beach Beasties.

And thank you very much!

(05-29-2019, 11:13 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]I would never really have looked at MH before all your photos.  This forum is very educational LOL
And Spectra looks very elegant here.  Great portrait.

Thank you! I'm glad my photos brought you something new (even if you don't get any MH dolls yourself).

(05-29-2019, 03:36 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I don't know this particular line but this Spectra is gorgeous. She looks very contemplative in this picture, as if musing on some great philosophical query.

Yeah, this line had a hella weird distribution in Europe. I found her in an obscure store that also sold electronics, hosehold chemicals, all kinds of stuff.
She was pondering the futility of wearing a swimsuit when her normal clothes don't get wet anyways, but then she realized she looks fabulous in it and that's the only reson she needs.

(05-29-2019, 09:04 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]

What to have for dinner is a great philosophical question, in my opinion.
Is it an at-home or going-out night.?  Should it be hot or cold?  Leftovers or a new meal?  So many questions!

Hmmm... What do the ghosts usually eat? I think candy cotton might be light enough for them. Or maybe all those Halloween snacks and candy? Hmmm... I won't be able to get this out of my head for at least a week...

Day 149

I love taking profile portraits of MH dolls, but EAHs, well, not so much. Their heads aren't really made for that angle. But in some rare cases, it can actually look pretty good.

[Image: 14ef48c287aa5e3028a6d05c181bff9c.jpg]

And it begged for a filter!

[Image: ac9905afedae78747d0104636c6bcb59.jpg]
Ooh, Mira does look really cool in profile! (Actually she's one of those ones that looks good no matter what.) The filter adds a slight sense of mysticism to the picture.
She's the Dragon Games version, so of course she looks great from any angle! yay

Beach Beasties? I never heard that title, either. It's... not one of their best. You are correct, however, I do have Venus from that line. Your memory is quite superior to mine to recall that! But when I purchased her from Amazon, she was called Swim Class Venus.

I see from the MH Wiki page that there were a number of interesting aberrations in this line, including a Draculaura with no fangs and makeup variations of Venus and Lagoona.
I think because EAH have relatively flat faces they don’t really work for profiles.

But Mira looks great that way, maybe it’s the tiara/head dress.
Day 'I better start making another gravestone'

Oh, here she comes...
Watch out boy, she'll chew you up!

[Image: 689be71d836651b18d3b998c9d461b36.jpg]

[Image: 855b25e0cdb471d3fa9d874c392dd434.jpg]
... There is something genuinely a bit terrifying about her there. She seems... slightly vicious somehow.
While several of your other characters are "amusingly wicked," this one appears to be genuinely malevolent.
Well, she looks like she might be a little angry to me, but, I'm not sure about 'malevolent'... It's quite an atmospheric shot anyway.
Nice profile portrait!
Yes, that particular Hall & Oates ‘classic’ does suit her.
(05-31-2019, 02:21 AM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]... There is something genuinely a bit terrifying about her there. She seems... slightly vicious somehow.

(05-31-2019, 02:55 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]While several of your other characters are "amusingly wicked," this one appears to be genuinely malevolent.

Ha, I was actually going for 'sinister but irresistible'...

(05-31-2019, 07:43 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Well, she looks like she might be a little angry to me, but, I'm not sure about 'malevolent'...  It's quite an atmospheric shot anyway.
Nice profile portrait!

Thank you!

(05-31-2019, 04:29 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that particular Hall & Oates ‘classic’ does suit her.

Thanks! I know the song is in fact a metaphor for New York nightlife back in 80s, but before I read that, it always made me think of vampires...

Day 'I better start making another gravestone' and one

I'm in love with this blood-sucking charmer.

[Image: 494b165e41b0e8c083437cc791600cb1.jpg]

Her wig is terribly dry and it's starting to get frizzy at the ends, plus, I wan't my vampire queen to have black or unnatual hair (but probably black), so she's going to get a new wig at some point.

ETA: Or maybe red. Only five of my sixteen Groove dolls are redheads...
If you could get a very deep red - a wine red maybe - that would look very striking against her pale skin tone. She does come across as more charming in the full body shot. Still a hint of menace thanks to the red eyes, but in a way you might not notice until it's too late...
Still malevolent. But yes, irresistibly malevolent. That is an exceptionally dangerous combination.

Burgundy-ish wig to match her outfit and eyes would be wicked cool!