Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day 2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They haven’t appeared here that I’ve seen.

They look interesting enough in the photos that I’d like to see them in person.
Blue hair and purple hair... my doll weaknesses and yet these have never hit the UK and it looks like they never will.
I think I might've seen them here in one of my cruises down a toy aisle, but I can't recall for sure. I like blue hair too, but don't need any MORE lines of dolls to collect.
I believe the Wild Hearts Crew are still a Walmart exclusive, although I see that they are available on the Mattel website for $14.99 USD.

The online Walmart price is only $9.98 USD.

[Image: december19.jpg]
19 December – Smile and say Cheese!
Maudsie! What is 'smile'? I think I know, but, for reasons most mysterious, I can't remember it when I'm looking at you...
Maudsie looks so done with having to be everyone's photographer. It's a fantastic picture.
She looks amazingly fed up there. And I love her camera - much nicer than the plastic one I have for the dolls.
(12-21-2019, 05:53 AM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]And I love her camera - much nicer than the plastic one I have for the dolls.

I got tired of having cheap-looking cameras for my dollie crew, and I didn't want to spend $60 or more for a fancy 1/3 scale miniature Canon camera. Then I discovered these vintage "Speedex" cameras. They are real cameras, called "sub-miniature cameras" or sometimes "spy cameras," that were manufactured in the 1950s and 1960s and used film. These camera were marketed under a variety of brand names, including Speedex, Crystar, and HIT. The size works well for the 1:3 scale Smart Dolls and 1:4 scale dolls like Mauldynne. It takes some searching and some patience, but they do occasionally sell on eBay for between $10 and $15 USD. (Some sellers ask outrageous "rare and antique" prices, but I just found a Crystar on eBay for $4 USD plus $3 shipping.) 

For 1:6 scale dolls I have purchased a couple of Tammy doll cameras from the 1960s. They are made of metal and are very detailed, and work nicely for most 1:6 scale figures. eBay prices tend to run in the $10 to $20 USD range. Search for Tammy doll camera or IDEAL Tammy camera.

I have not yet found a camera that works particularly well with Pullip dolls. The Tammy camera comes close, but because Pullips have 1:6 scale bodies but heads that are closer to 1:4 or 1:3 (I put Pullip hats on Smart Dolls), it has been challenging finding a camera in a scale that looks right with Pullips.

[Image: december20.jpg]
20 December – Kenna and Maudlynne discuss film photography
Maudlynne looks a bit annoyed with Kenna interuppting her photography session
It looks like Kenna might be too zesty for Maudlynne, then again, this might be Maudlynne's friendly and enthusiastic face, for all I know...
(12-21-2019, 11:28 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Maudlynne looks a bit annoyed with Kenna interuppting her photography session

Maudlynne... annoyed? Naaaahhh....  yay

(12-22-2019, 04:35 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]... then again, this might be Maudlynne's friendly and enthusiastic face, for all I know...

Friendly and enthusiastic, absolutely, that's Maudlynne to a T!

[Image: december21.jpg]
21 December – Monster High Isi Dawndancer

Happy Winter Solstice to our friends in the Northern Hemisphere, and Happy Summer Solstice to our friends south of the equator!
Ha, even before I scrolled down to the caption I thought, "Looks like she's doing a solstice thing". smile Neat and colourful.

(12-21-2019, 01:31 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]
20 December – Kenna and Maudlynne discuss film photography
Yay! Film! I miss film.... I mean, I couldn't shoot dolls with it, but, I miss my simple organic K1000 for nature photography...
What kind of film do these little cameras you've found use?
Nice for 2 of your dolls to have a shared hobby. Maudlynne is rocking the solstice, too.
Atmospheric lighting with Isi there. The blues suit her so well.
I love how the blue light together with her hair create dramatic curve in the otherwise warm-colored photo.