Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Doctor Evil strip is very funny. Are they related, cousins or brothers or something a bit more sinister...

I do like the outfits on the Wild Heartz girls, but it sounds like they will never make it out here, and I don’t love them that much to order them
(03-03-2020, 05:03 PM)Lejays17 Wrote: [ -> ]The Doctor Evil strip is very funny.  Are they related, cousins or brothers or something a bit more sinister...

I do like the outfits on the Wild Heartz girls, but it sounds like they will never make it out here, and I don’t love them that much to order them

The Secrets of the Doctors Evil will be revealed... maybe... if I get around to making more installments. But you have already figured things out with one of your guesses. (For the sake of being evil, I won't tell you which one.  yay)

The Wild Hearts dolls are cute, but definitely not worth paying the postage for to ship to Australia. I mailed a small item to a friend in Australia last week, and it cost $18 USD (about $24 AUD, I think) to send a three ounce padded envelope.

I was just reading a couple of reviews of the Wild Hearts Crew line. They were very thorough but kind of snarky, pointing out the areas in which Mattel cut costs on this line... and there are a lot of those areas:

http://flyingpurplemonkfish.blogspot.com...attel.html

http://mylittledollcorner.blogspot.com/2...ruize.html
Ah. They look very cool. Be interesting to see what they will be in the Dungeon
Congrats on new girls! Glad you could get them for decent price!

I'm with others, I like them, but not enough to order them online and pay for shipping, custom fees and VAT which together add almost 100% of the original cost to the final sum. Plus, I decided not to get more Mattel dolls unless they're absolutely amazeballs, because Mattel keeps watering the quality down and they are still using that stupid glue!!!

I like to imagine that Doctors were part of some gruesome ex³periment that went wrong, and as a result of that, they were turned into what they are now, embraced their new, improved selves and made it their mission to spread evil throughout the world... They're so much fun, I can't help but think about these things LOL
[Image: march3.jpg]
3 March – Doodle Tuesday – Vote Now!

And HAPPY HINA MATSURI! Usually known in the western countries as "Girls Day," the Japanese holiday Hina Matsuri, celebrated on the third day of the third month of the year, actually translates more accurately to Festival of the Dolls, and dolls representing the Emperor, Empress, and Japanese royal court play a significant role in the festivities.

Here in the United States, today is often referred to as "Super Tuesday." During Presidential election years (once every four years), several US states hold simultaneous primary elections to decide which candidates will advance to the general election later in the year. While many more states have yet to vote, on this day more states vote than on any other date during the primary election season, hence the "super" designation by the media.

With voting in the air, this seems like a good time to solicit input in a non-binding poll regarding my future with SmartDolls.

I currently own four SmartDolls: Symphony and Harmony joined me first, followed by Kanata and then Cocoa Mirai. After nearly two years since the arrival of my first SmartDoll, I still do not feel like I've "bonded" with them. They spend most of their time hidden away in their canvas tote bags.

I could go on, with a variety of pros and cons, but instead I'll cut to the chase: in the comments, please indicate whether you think I should keep 'em a while longer or sell 'em to more appreciative homes.

STAY OR GO? LEAVE A COMMENT!

If they stay, the poor things will likely continue to be largely neglected.

If they go, the financial loss will likely be significant, as pre-owned SmartDolls do not command particularly high prices, but that is a loss I may have to accept. There is also a high probability that, being pre-owned, they will become the subjects of vivisection! With SmartDoll modifying and customizing becoming increasingly popular, second-hand examples are likely to end up under the knife and brush to be carved up and repainted.

I am not actively soliciting offers to purchase at this time. I am merely requesting input and subjective opinions whether to give SmartDoll ownership a little more time and effort, or to send them to more appreciative (or possibly destructive) homes.
Well, only you can decide on selling at a loss versus keeping them and trying to find more ways to enjoy them… But personally, I have really enjoyed your photos of them. Given all the photos you’ve taken, I wonder what more you are looking for in the way of “bonding“ with them. How does your feeling about them compare with your feeling about some of your other dolls and figures? Do you think you have more of a bond with some of the others? Asking yourself why might help to clarify how you feel about the smart dolls. Again, only you can know whether these are the right dolls for you. When people are unsure about selling dolls, the usual advice is to put them away for a while and see if you miss them. While they are stored in their canvas bags, do you think about them? Do you want to get them out and feel like you want to go take pictures of them, or do you just not care that they are there?
I’d say keep them for more adventures, but you do have a lot of models among which to divide your photo time. Not having considered selling a doll, I’m not sure I’m much help with that.
I vote for stay. I will miss them if they do go, though. They’ve provided me with a lot of joy, and I thought they may do the same for their owner. I love the characters you’ve created for them, and while you may not feel it, or see it, that to me indicates a form of bonding. They feature a lot on your ADaD, too, so I also don’t get the feeling of neglect.
The only advice I can give you is what Alliecat already suggested - completely hiding them from your sight, waiting for a while (for me it's 6 months), and when you don't miss them, sell them.

Same as Elfy, it is a bit surprising to me that you don't feel the bond, because the way you pose and photograph them is absolutely brilliant, and the stories you come up with for them are funny and original (unlike the countless 'cute doll lives with me' ones on instagram). But if the feeling's not there, then it's not there.

I really don't know what to say, I don't think I can vote for either option and know that it's the right one for you.

I bonded with Remei even before she came, and I play with her every day, just looking at her face makes me happy. That's ultimately what I need from a doll - feeling happy simply because it's there. Like I don't enjoy taking photos of my Bratz (or Novis), but just seeing them on the shelf makes me feel happy that I have them. I guess that if a doll didn't make me happy in this way, then I would send it to a new home regardless of how well it photographs or fulfills other purposes.

So I vote that you figure out the simplest possible definition of what makes you happy in the doll hobby, and go from there. If you find out that there's no way they could make you happy, sell them. I would miss them, but I would be more sad if they just turned into unwanted clutter and source of guilt for you.
I don't think I can give any better advice than what's been given. I could point out that you saying that you think you're neglecting them does actually suggest more of a bond than you initally think but then again I would understand that also being guilt arising from cost of item. As others have said, everything about your photos suggests you have bonded with them, but then again we don't know the background to all of them.

I guess the best answer would be exactly what Alliecat suggested - hide them, if you don't miss them, they go.

I hope you come to a decision that you're comfortable with.
Echoing everyone else-- your Smart Doll pictures are always fun and engaging.

Due to my living situation, my dolls (Pullip and co.) spend the majority of their time tucked away and/ or in boxes. I frequently feel bad about this and envision doing more with them. However, there are only so many hours in a day, and other things, both work-wise and enjoyment-wise, often come first. But I still enjoy taking the dolls out for various photo shoots, and I like that this forum and the Dal House forum give me reasons to do that. So I guess you have to ask yourself-- do you enjoy the time you spend playing with/ photographing them, even if it is limited? If the answer is "yes," then don't think of them as "neglected," just think of them as filling a small but necessary niche in your life.
Thank you to everyone for your input on the SmartDoll vote! Each and every one of your comments and suggestions is very much appreciated, and everyone has shared thought-provoking ideas and opinions. I shall be correlating the votes soon and will share the results.

[Image: march4.jpg]
4 March – Generic Fashion Doll at a Discount Store

I nearly purchased this generic fashion doll today, because she looks so much like the Mary Ann character from the old TV show Gilligan's Island.

If you get a Mary Ann, you need a Ginger to go with her.
(03-05-2020, 03:35 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]If you get a Mary Ann, you need a Ginger to go with her.

That is true. And to be authentic, Ginger would probably need to be one of those ekspensive Integrity Fashion Royalty type dolls. Another good reason to have not purchased Mary Ann!
Lol at the perceived difference between the type of doll Mary Ann and Ginger would be.

She’s very cute.
Her ex²pression screams "somebody save me from this box, pleeaaaaase!!!"