Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats on winning the redressing battle! I remember my 90s Barbies being hard to dress because of their rubbery legs and arms, is this similar?
(05-11-2020, 06:35 PM)werepuppy Wrote: [ -> ]... whether Monday's head would fit - I think you would need to widen the neck hole, and there might be that issue of it looking too small for the body? Having compared Monday next to Wonder Woman - who is on a seamless body, well these bodies are generally much bigger / thicker. Though that could just be the one example I have.

The S26A body is about 2cm shorter and considerably more slim than the "muscular" seamless body used for the super hero figures. It is also more petite in all dimensions than the other seamless figs I have. And to my surprise, the Momoko head popped off the Momoko body with only slight pressure. So... (see below).

(05-11-2020, 07:19 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on winning the redressing battle! I remember my 90s Barbies being hard to dress because of their rubbery legs and arms, is this similar?

Yes, lots of friction on the rubbery surface, similar to the old Barbies with the flexible legs. The rubber is even softer than the old Barbies, kind of squishy, so clothing does not slide on easily at all.

[Image: may11.jpg]
11 May – Cousin Monday tries the casual look

Surprisingly close match in both scale and color between the Momoko Quietude Dedication head and the TBLeague S26A seamless body. No need to adjust the neck hole in the head. In fact, a bit of tape was required on the neck peg to thicken it up to hold the head in place.

Next question: will Momoko clothing fit this body?
Oh, now this will be interesting to see!
I'm not bothered by "some" doll joints... depends on the individual design I guess. BJD joints with big gaps aren't too photogenic, and I really dislike the BJDs with the "extra bones" in their joints -- but they're not trying to be realistic anyway. Too bad these were disappointing for you. I don't find them creepy but the rubbery skin would be a nuisance. Doll clothes can be hard enough to get on & off in a hurry (I'm looking at you, Groove slash ).
That dress and her lipstick kinda go together, but it's a bit strange to see her donning such a different style...
[Image: may12.jpg]
12 May – Doodle Tuesday: With Great Art comes Great Frustration
With Really Crappy Art comes Even Greater Frustration!
Awesome photo! Do I see a blood sewer?
Now this is an interesting shot. I cannot help but wonder who it is we're looking down at...
I like the new version of Cousin Monday.

I wonder what we are looking into with that perspective of the Tuesday Doodle.
Interesting and spooky. Is it one of the Phicen girls? I see a guillotine and a disembodied head… Yikes. Oh My
(05-14-2020, 03:03 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting and spooky. Is it one of the Phicen girls? I see a guillotine and a disembodied head… Yikes. Oh My

OF COURSE! A guillotine! Looked like a sewer full of blood to me, but now I can see that it's clearly a guillotine! Well, a few more heads and the sewers will be full of blood...
(05-14-2020, 03:03 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]I see a guillotine and a disembodied head… 

Oh My Have you ever taken a Rorschach test? I suspect the results would be interesting.  Tongue

(05-14-2020, 03:54 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]OF COURSE! A guillotine! Looked like a sewer full of blood to me, but now I can see that it's clearly a guillotine! 

Yes, Alliecat was correct, but I liked your initial impression, and now I'm wondering how to convey something like that for the next Tuesday Doodle!  yay

[Image: may13.jpg]
13 May – Cousin Monday on a TBLeague S26A Body

To my surprise, the Momoko Quietude Dedication costume fits the TBLeague (Phicen) S26A body almost perfectly. I did not ex-pect it to fit around the shoulders, but it wasn't an issue.

The seamless body has several advantages over the stock Momoko body. It has slightly larger feet and heavier overall weight, so the figure is more stable and stands on its own. The range of motion is greater, allowing for a wider variety of poses. The joints are tighter, allowing the figure to hold a pose better. The shoulders and neck are very flexible, allowing for "ex-pressive" posing. Three pairs of hands are included with the body, including the "gripping" hand seen here; the figure is holding the relatively heavy metal candlestick without additional support while balancing on high heeled shoes. The color match between the head and body is not exactly perfect, but then, it is not a perfect match to between the head and the original body, either. It is definitely a "close enough" color match to look believable, or to not cause a distraction.

The Momoko head slips easily on to the neck post. I wrapped a couple of layers of masking tape around the neck post to hold the head more securely.

The only drawback, for me, is that this body has separate feet (flats and heels feet are included), so there is still an unsightly ankle seam that is visible through the stockings, similar to that with the original Momoko body. I think a couple of wraps of teflon tape will remedy that.

The body is slightly thicker through the waist and hips than the original Momoko body. The costume includes an under-skirt. While the dress fits the figure without the underskirt, it will not fit if the underskirt is used. But the underskirt does not show when the figure is fully dressed. In fact, I was surprised to discover the underskirt when I undressed the original Momoko body. The underskirt will fit the seamless body, but the dress is slightly too tight to fit on the seamless body over the underskirt.

Better balance, better range of motion, more ex-pressive posing, multiple hands (including "gripping" hands), adequate color match, and the costume fits: I think Cousin Monday is on the TBLeague body to stay.

(For those who may be interested: TBLeague S26A pale tone mid-bust small stature seamless body)
Great upgrade for Momoko! They're notorious for they poorly manufactured and fragile bodies, so I'm glad that Dungeon Monday has a body better suited for all the shenanigans she'll get dragged into by all the Doctors.

That candleholder should have been a part of her stock from the beginning, it looks so apt!
Wow, she looks great in this last photo! I must admit that I really did not like how she looked on the previous photo, the head seemed super small, but seeing her in this full body shot and back in her stock, it might have just been a less-flattering angle in the previous one. I'm happy to hear you're overall happy with this new body for her. One thing though - I've read that Phicen bodies get stained by dark clothing super easily (I guess it's because of the softer, rubbery plastic they are made of) - have you made any precautions, or are you scared of this?
Cousin Monday looks fantastic. I'm so happy to hear about how well it all worked out!