Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day Challenge 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-01-2020, 05:20 PM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]Cool (pine?)cone; do you know what kind of tree it is?

The cone of a Bristlecone Pine. "The Ex-perts" say these particular trees are approximately 1,600 years old.
Brilliant composition! I love how the light and dark parts of the photo are separated by the lantern frame, also that the light part is orderly and geometric and the dark is dynamic (I'd say something about curvy lines, but you can't talk curves in terms of composition and escape those... other curves in this case), and the color gradient from yellow to red to black is marvellous!
Oh this is fantastic - I love how the light and the dark both make the figure stand out so brilliantly!
[Image: august1.jpg]
1 August – What th' what? That ain't no doll!

Sure it's a doll! Well, a doll stand, mostly, and some other random Novi Star stuff, glowing through the side of a storage tub.
Hahaha! It's a UFO... no, wait... LOL

(08-01-2020, 05:28 PM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]The cone of a Bristlecone Pine. "The Ex-perts" say these particular trees are approximately 1,600 years old.
Ooo. What a lovely place to meditate, sitting with such an ancient living thing yay
Haha, I did think it was a Novi stand, their glow is quite strong, isn't it?
(08-02-2020, 04:27 PM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Haha, I did think it was a Novi stand, their glow is quite strong, isn't it?

You have a very good eye for identifying random bits and pieces from a variety of doll lines. Yes, the Novi glow is quite intense! Right up there with Bratzillaz Midnight Beach figs! Quite sensitive to light, too; apparently these pieces pick up a charge from normal indoor daylight, even though they are inside a semi-translucent storage tub. And the glow is visible through the sides of the tub after dark.
That is a strong glow!
[Image: august2.jpg]
2 August – Sister Dominique

TBLeague (Phicen) S35 figure with stock head sculpt.
MOOD...

She looks troubled.
I like the feel of this one a lot, I'm not sure what exactly about it that I'm liking so much!
I’m getting Warrior Nun vibes from this one.
Oh, she seems to be in deep contemplation here...
(08-03-2020, 05:35 PM)Elfy Wrote: [ -> ]I’m getting Warrior Nun vibes from this one.

Me too!
[Image: august3.jpg]
3 August – Monster High Lorna McNessie

Appropriately enough, the influencer behind this purchase was our forum's own resident Scotland lass.  yay

I'm not complaining. I had somehow overlooked adding Monster High Lorna McNessie to my MH collection until now, and I'm glad she has finally joined the crew. She is quite a nice release, with a high level of detail. While her finned hands are not two-tone like the original Lagoona, and the arm fins are moulded in place, the leg fins are separate (and still held in place by the original elastic bands on this pre-owned example), her outfit is appropriately tartan, and that hair! That glorious hair!

She also came with her original stand, a pink suitcase, and of course her gorgeous finny tail!

The editing software "auto correct" somewhat over-corrected the colour saturation in this pic, but it's not far off the mark of what Lorna actually looks like under full lighting. I imagine, being the Daughter of the Loch Ness Monster, she normally spends her non-school time lurking about on dark, foggy nights, so she needs vibrant colors to compensate for the less than optimal conditions under which she is normally seen.

Lorna arrived via eBay... rather than directly from Scotland... and, like many doll sellers on eBay seem to do, the vendor included a sweet little note.

This is not the most ekspensive or uncommon or hard to find doll, toy, or figure I've purchased on eBay, but she's certainly the most fun of anything I've purchased in a long while!