Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mint-In-Box March continues...

[Image: march8.jpg]
8 March: Pinky Street Gunslinger Girl Henrietta Limited Edition

The Gunslinger Girl figure was released as a Japan-only exclusive at the height of Pinky Street mania, around 2005. At the time, U.S. collectors were paying as much as $150 to $180 for this figure. Today they are fairly common on eBay at prices ranging between $25 and $50, including shipping. I felt fortunate to have stumbled across this one a few weeks ago for $27 including shipping from Japan.
Mint-in-Box March continues:

[Image: march9.jpg]
9 March: Tonner Dolls Maudlynne Macabre

This is my "back-up" Maudlynne; yet another doll of which I have one which has been opened and another still in box.
Because, y'know, hoarding tendencies....
Sweatdrop
You have such interesting sets for your photos! Are you going to debox your Pinky for some adventures?

[Image: march10.jpg]
10 March: Monster High "Ghouls Getaway" Spectra Vondergeist
I haven't seen this Spectra before, she's very pretty.
so many to squee over ...

I love the little Bratz like figure.
Guatamalan Worry Dolls !! You are the only person I have ever known who has them too LOL.

stunning pic of Meygana. I recently managed to find one for myself. She is SO beautiful.

That clock is cute but it would have been smashed against a wall the first time it played THAT song at me and screamed WAKE UP. I had 3 kids who did that for many years. LOL

golfing Chloe is beautiful. I am so in love with Bratz these days (any vintage)

the knock off MH is certainly not shy in declaring her greatness LOL

I love Luna Mothews (one of the rare newer characters I know) & needless to say, Amelia is the best !! Heart

I love this Spooky Sooki, another one I must look up *sigh. Isi Dawndancer is a real beauty. I am very interested to see if you have 31 MIB dolls hehe. I probably do blush I only leave them in to keep them dustfree and safe.

Gunslinger Girl is very cute. She isn't related to the main character in Stephen King's Dark Tower series, is she? grin

That's Spectra? She is purple, not pink sad Pretty though. She is my favourite character in MH now because they got rid of Ghoulia Yelps sad

Well I made it, all caught up. Congratulations davidd on moving into month 3 of ADAD with such style - Mint in Box March is a brilliant theme smile

[Image: march11.jpg]
11 March: Barbie Loves Frank Sinatra Box Set

It's Mint-in-Box (MIB) March, but not necessarily Mint-in-Mint-Box (MIMB) March.
I got this set for cheap on eBay because of the box damage. By "cheap," I mean the whole set with shipping cost less than some sellers ask for the cool 1940s style microphone stand alone.

Immediately after snapping this photo I de-boxed everything so it will take up a lot less space. The cardboard will be used as fireplace kindling later this evening. I saved the transparent plastic for use as "windows" in diorama projects. Frank and Babs are safely bagged up in Ziploc bags to retain their minty-ness.
Oh, they're cute. I say again, if they made a Frank Sinatra doll, they should've made a Gene Kelly Tongue
I like Spectra's colour combination.

[Image: march12.jpg]
12 March: The Pinky Street Tribe No. PK009A – Reina

The original Pinky Street series bore the phrase, "The Pinky Street Tribe" on the box art. The 10cm / 4-inch figures included a separate body (torso, legs, and skirt) and a metal pinback badge.
The releases were usually in groups of three: PK001, PK002, PK003, for example. The initial releases were often followed up by color variants, numbered as PK001A and PK001B. The "A" versions are
generally more scarce than the un-lettered version, and the "B" variants are significantly more scarce than either of the other two.

I believe "B" variants were only issued in the first three figures. "A" repaints continued to be released through at least PK014A.

PK024 (Series 8) was the last figure to be released with an extra body. Beginning with Series 9 (PK025), the remaining figures, through the end of Series 11, PK033, were issued in a smaller blister pack without the second body. Beginning with Series 8, the composition of the plastic compound used to cast the figures changed to a lower quality, softer material. The figures were less detailed and show lower quality finishing. Series 8 and later pieces do not alway interchange seamlessly with earlier releases.

My heart skipped a beat a moment ago; while looking around online, I discovered an archived page from the Pinky-Street forum listing, in chronological order, all the Pinky Street releases from 2003 through 2006, with photos:

Archive.org

A text-only version lists figures through 2009:

Archive.org
Frank, Barbie & Reina are all cute. Reina looks like a spy in that coat.

**agreed about Gene Kelly LOL So many talented & yummy men from that era were more deserving of their own doll than Sinatra Tongue
Lots of interesting things again - I'm enjoying the "history" of the In-Box dolls you have, especially the ones I know nothing about (like the Pinky St ones)

[Image: march13.jpg]
13 March: Pinky Street PC2007 Sakura Wars

The Sakura Wars figure was a popular Pinky Street release; so popular that it sold out quickly and became pretty much impossible to find. It wasn't that the secondary market price escalated, but rather, it just wasn't out there for sale at any price.

Now, more than ten years after their initial release, they are fairly common on eBay at prices lower than the original retail price.

(I apologize for the crummy photo. I have yet to figure out how to photograph carded or blister-packed figures.)
They are cute. Wow, so many releases!! I could see getting hooked on these.
I really like this one davidd. I can see why they sold out fast - adorable.

[Image: march14.jpg]
14 March: Monster High Ghouls' Getaway Meowlody