Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know a thing about GI Joes but I can tell he is a high quality figure. Sorry, ACTION figure LOL
Mint-In-Box Marches Into April:

[Image: april3.jpg]
3 April - Mattel Ever After High "Dragon Games" Poppy O'Hair
She's pretty too. What are the black round things in the Pinky packages?
Congrats (I think???) on a whole month of mint-in-box! Wow Oh My
(04-04-2018, 10:41 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]She's pretty too. What are the black round things in the Pinky packages?

These figures come with over-sized bases. In standard Pinky Street releases, the bases are packaged behind the figures.
Poppy is very pretty.
Mint-in-Box-Marches-into-April:

I'M NOT A DOLL! I'M AN ACTION FIGURE: PART IV

[Image: april4a.jpg]

[Image: april4.jpg]
4 April: Hasbro G.I. JOE MASTERPIECE EDITION – ACTION PILOT – 1996

The G.I. Joe Masterpiece Edition collection, released in 1996-1997, included four variations: Action Soldier, Action Sailor, Action Pilot, and Action Marine. A fifth version, Action Astronaut, was available as a limited edition from FAO Schwarz... and as we know from our experience with George Washington Barbie, those FAO Schwarz edition figures are highly sought-after collectibles!

The Masterpiece Edition supposedly offers an as-close-as-possible reproduction of the original 1964 G.I. Joe figure. The set includes a hardbound book on the history of the G.I. Joe action figure co-written by the designer, and a reproduction of the instruction booklet (or "military manual") that accompanied the original release figures in the 1960s.

The set is massive. The outer gatefold box measures 13-1/2 inches (34.25 cm) square and 2-1/2 inches (6.25 cm) deep. The box includes the 11-1/2 inch (29cm) figure and a hardbound book. The entire package weighs in at 4 pounds (1.8 kg).

Although impressive in appearance, in size, in weight, and in graphics quality, these sets are surprisingly affordable, or perhaps discouragingly worthless for current owners, on eBay. The cost of shipping for such a large package (approximately $22 for in-country shipping in the US right now) is higher than the price a mint-in-box example brings. The sets are currently selling for $15 to $25 with $15 to $25 shipping, so it is possible to find one with shipping for about $30.00 USD.

I only recently learned about the existence of these figures, so the one pictured here is a recent acquisition. While I absolutely love the detailed packaging, it actually represents a lot of wasted space. I expect to be de-boxing this figure soon. I shall take numerous photos of the packaging and then discard it. If I believed the figure was scarce or there would be any future value in it, I would of course keep the packaging, but the huge numbers of them currently available on the secondary market for reasonable prices indicates that this is a perfectly "play-worthy" figure.
Congrats on reaching the end of March - and still having enough to continue into April.

I've got that Holly too - Dragon games was one of my favourite lines and I loved all the outfits
Mint-in-Box Marches into April:

[Image: april5.jpg]
5 April: Mattel Ever After High "Dragon Games" Teenage Evil Queen

I think the "Special Edition" tag means this version was a Walmart Exclusive.

The "Dragon Games" animated series was a Netflix exclusive, so I have never seen it. I believe it is now available on other streaming services. I'd prefer a DVD or Blu-ray, but apparently those formats are rapidly dying out, and "Dragon Games" has not had a release on disc.
Yay, it's so great to know someone else is doing the doll a day challenge, too! We have one on MH Arena, but as of now, I'm the only one posting daily, and Lejays17 posts weekly there. Now I feel less lonely Happy

I love your photos, they're really beautiful and creative!
(04-06-2018, 04:26 AM)neon_jellyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Yay, it's so great to know someone else is doing the doll a day challenge, too! We have one on MH Arena, but as of now, I'm the only one posting daily, and Lejays17 posts weekly there. Now I feel less lonely.

We started out with two people attempting Doll A Day and several doing Doll A Week.
I'm the only Doll A Day person at this point. Most of the Doll A Week people are sticking with it.
You could move your Doll A Day project to this forum.... ;-)
She's very pretty, too. Stop making me want dolls when what I really need to do is downsize my MH and assorted other playline dolls.
That's quite a G.I. Joe set. What a cool idea though, to release a figure or doll with a book on its history.
neon_jellyfish, you're welcome to join in smile
Mint-In-Box Marches Into April:

[Image: april6.jpg]
6 April: Mattel Ever After High "Dragon Games" Darling Charming
(Note: chainsaw not included Tongue

Dragon Games Darling Charming is the release that lured me in to acquiring several Ever After High figures, which, until then, I had successfully resisted.

Unfortunately, Ever After High were also subject to a "reboot" similar to the Monster High reboot, in which the features of the faces were "softened" and budget versions were introduced with limited articulation and simplified costumes. In other words, just as they did with Monster High, Mattel totally ruined Ever After High.

The EAH line has completely disappeared from stores where I live.
I was sad when they rebooted the line with the smiley faces, and they were already hard to find here. We didn't get all the lines anyway, and the last was Winter Party (I think that was what it was called).

Darlings 2 releases look quite similar, but she's very pretty in both
Dragon Games Darling is awesome! I love her! Especially her corset armor.

It was Epic Winter, Lejays. However, considering their new smiling faces, it should have been Winter Party ;-)