Dolly Market Forum

Full Version: davidd's A Doll A Day 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(01-22-2018, 11:40 AM)Alliecat Wrote: [ -> ]If I was going to start collecting another line of dolls, these would be tempting.

I had zero interest in the Ever After High line until I saw a photo of this "Dragon Games" Darling Charming figure. I managed to keep my enthusiasm in check, and ultimately only picked up a few more in the "Dragon Games" line. Uhm... and the Red Riding Hood (Cerise Hood) figure. blush
I LOVE this photo! She's so cute!

Just so you know, you may cause some of the more sinister dolls in my home to gain access to a chainsaw. If anyone gets hurt I blame you.
(01-22-2018, 01:58 PM)DeadlyNova Wrote: [ -> ]Just so you know, you may cause some of the more sinister dolls in my home to gain access to a chainsaw. If anyone gets hurt I blame you.

We all seem to be introducing one another to temptation in these Doll A Day / Week Projects. As an example, George Washington Barbie is presently on her way to my house.
Haha! I'm glad you gave into the temptation, she is a masterpiece. xD
Ever After High was my dolly gateway drug. Originally I planned to just collect self-made custom dolls of my fictional characters but when I got the CA Cupid I turned into the Lord of EBay I fell in love with the whole line, and also being a sucker for fairy tales, I couldn’t resist.
(01-22-2018, 03:28 PM)GreysPrincess Wrote: [ -> ]... but when I got the CA Cupid I turned into the Lord of EBay.

You know that CA Cupid started out as a Monster High character and figure, right? The Monster High doll came first, then when EAH was released they redesigned her and moved her over to the EAH universe. Not that I'm suggesting you consider collecting another line or anything....xd
I thought Monster High Cupid was SO much cuter than Ever After High Cupid:
http://d-rezzed.clownfishtv.com/wp-conte...r-high.jpg

So much so that I was actually angry when they transferred her over. LOL. I never ended up getting her, but she's one of the few MA dolls I'd be tempted by today.
(01-22-2018, 03:28 PM)GreysPrincess Wrote: [ -> ]Ever After High was my dolly gateway drug.

Mine too! I love fairy tales, so these were right up my alley. I've got all the signatures and a smattering of other lines.
(01-22-2018, 01:39 PM)Cornflower Blue Wrote: [ -> ]She's very pretty, chainsaw and all. I really need to get one of those for the Grells to play with.

uhh, I have a Taeyang Grell about to make his way home to me. He has the sweetest most innocuous expression of any Tae and you tell me he plays with chainsaws? Sweatdrop Irritated Dead
[Image: jan22.jpg]
January 22: Ever After High Poppy O'Hair

What th' whaaaaat?!? I was randomly looking around on eBay last night and I discovered that Poppy O'Hair figures are selling... selling... on eBay for between $90 and $100, often with additional shipping!

So of course this is the Ever After High Dragon Games figure of which I have only one! I have, like, three or four Darlings still in their boxes, two Ravens, and one each of Holly and Teenage Queen. They are all practically worthless. Darling is still available new through Amazon for less than she used to cost in the stores, with free shipping. Teenage Evil Queen, who was supposedly some kind of "special edition," is only $12 right now on Amazon.

I originally bought several Darlings because I liked her armor the best. I was planning to repurpose the armor to create a medieval Monster High army. I wasn't planning on buying any other figures, but occasionally I would run across them at a good price when I had money in my pocket (which is probably one of the reasons I don't have money in my pocket anymore).

The O'Hair sisters armor and outfits didn't particularly appeal to me, so I only bought one of each of them. I guess I should have known that the one that actually included a miniature dragon might have potential resale value.

I stopped trying to buy dolls and toys for "investment purposes" a long time ago, after getting seriously burned by stupid Star Wars figure mania. In theory, I only buy dolls and toys that I want to have fun with and take photos of. Trying to buy for resale adds a lot of stress and takes a lot of the fun out of the hobby. And the pieces I try to buy for possible resale rarely increase in value.

I find it frustrating when certain items suddenly appreciate in value, especially if they are items which I've opened, altered, or already parted with. And even more especially when items that were once common and inexpensive suddenly increase five-fold in value... and I failed to stock up when I had the chance!

I don't know, perhaps the surge in Poppy prices was a fluke. Several have sold recently on eBay for ~$100 prices; now several are listed for less than that and they haven't sold. Since I am not particularly attached to this doll, I'm going to post her up on eBay and see if I can cash in on the current craze.

Of course, if I manage to sell her for one-hundred, in a month she'll be selling for two-hundred! Or three-hundred! But if I hold on to her, the price will crash back to the fifteen or twenty bucks she's probably worth.

If she sells, I'll be very annoyed with myself for not having ten more stashed away!

Do any of you have this dilemma? To Sell, or Not to Sell? To Keep, or Not to Keep? To DeBox, or Keep Mint in Box? Have you ever run across a doll or toy you purchased, opened, and played with or... horrors!... modified or damaged, and then discovered that the price had unexpectedly and astonishingly escalated?
I would have bought Poppy if I bought EAH,because of the all purple & the dragon. I liked a few of the originals but nowhere near as much as MH.

I have lost count of the number of Liivng Dead Dolls, Krypt Kiddies, Pullips & fam, every other kind of doll I have briefly or not so briefly collected that I have sold because I had urgent need of cash for bills etc, only to see them sell for (literally is some cases) 10 times that amount a short while after. I had some LDDs that are worth upwards of $1000 now that I bought back in the day for $40 approx & sold for much the same.

It used to kill me, but over the years I just accepted it as my way of life. I always collect, I need it. I buy what I must have, if I can afford it. I regularly have times of extreme broke-ness with a shitload of RL bills hanging over me. Only answer - sell something. I get the bills paid. I don't even waste the time berating myself when I see the prices a few years later. I do what I need to do.

I have parted with only a few dolls, of any kind, that I will always regret & will never be able to afford to replace. I do my best to hang on to my preciouses LOL
(01-22-2018, 10:25 PM)Miss Edith Wrote: [ -> ]uhh, I have a Taeyang Grell about to make his way home to me. He has the sweetest most innocuous expression of any Tae and you tell me he plays with chainsaws? Sweatdrop Irritated Dead
[Image: yaaaay10.jpg]

I've never seen this EAH before! It's interesting that she's gone up so much in value. I'm not sure if you should sell her or if you shouldn't, I guess it depends on how much you care for her.

I've had that delimma with dolls before, in the end it always boils down to "Do I love this doll enough or would she make someone else happier?"
(01-23-2018, 10:06 AM)DeadlyNova Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 10:25 PM)Miss Edith Wrote: [ -> ]uhh, I have a Taeyang Grell about to make his way home to me. He has the sweetest most innocuous expression of any Tae and you tell me he plays with chainsaws? Sweatdrop Irritated Dead
[Image: yaaaay10.jpg]

Rb_bigOIrritatedSweatdropOh MyDead
(01-23-2018, 10:06 AM)DeadlyNova Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if you should sell her or if you shouldn't, I guess it depends on how much you care for her.

Well, she's listed for sale on eBay at the moment for $99. Almost no views, zero watchers. I doubt that she'll sell. If, by the end of the listing, she hasn't sold, I think I'll open the package and put an end to any dilemma about selling.
Those dragon EAH's were among the ones I looked at on eBay and was tempted by. Cute!

(01-23-2018, 04:24 AM)davidd Wrote: [ -> ]I stopped trying to buy dolls and toys for "investment purposes" a long time ago,... In theory, I only buy dolls and toys that I want to have fun with and take photos of.
Do any of you have this dilemma? To Sell, or Not to Sell? To Keep, or Not to Keep? To DeBox, or Keep Mint in Box?
Nope, I've never had that dilemma. Keeping them in the box is completely pointless to me because I want to play with them!! LOL Fortunately my collection isn't big enough to have to decide if I want to sell anyone, and since I usually take a long time before adding a new addition, I think they are here to stay.
I agree, buying for investment turns them into just another commodity and that's not fun. If you want to do that, buy stocks. Yay for choosing dolls and figures that you really think you'll enjoy smile